Saturday, March 18, 2006

Next Fall

So, as I am thinking about the down side to next fall's registration approach, I found a bright spot. I received an email from a student asking about their grade and that I grade papers harder than the person they had last term. The fact that teachers are not being consistant on common papers is causing my some troubles for the first time. I know that common papers are designed to make the learning equal for the students but if each teacher involved grades them differently then when the students make a class change it becomes very difficult to continue on with methods that I use first semester. I now look forward to having the same students for a full year.

I know that as a team we should be still talking about the use of common papers and how they are scored but there are times when the discussions are going nowhere. I wonder if there is an easy way to make sure the students are all being held to the same standards?

I also am having some thoughts on what to do with the notebook computers but I am having a hard time finding the time to write this stuff down. Any ideas? What about the three classroom teachers getting together to share ideas so that we can be consistent?

1 comment:

Karl Fisch said...

I think this relates directly to our previous - and upcoming - discussion about grades. If two teachers in the same department at the same school on the same assignment who have discussed grading it similarly still don't agree on the grade, what purpose does the grade serve? How accurate a representation is it of the what the student knows and is able to do?

As far as the laptops, I am planning on getting you guys together as often as is practical between now and August (and of course throughout next year). I also thought that a wiki might be a good place to share ideas, questions, thoughts, etc. I also imagine that Brad, Anne and I will go to a session or two at NECC (and at TIE for me as well) regarding the use of laptops in instruction. Hopefully we'll get some good ideas . . .