Saturday, March 11, 2006

MP3 Player recordings

I have been thinking about the issue that recently came up in another local high school. I recently was listening to a local radio station that was discussing how easy it is to edit digital media. If a student is recording lectures in a class and has an issue with the teacher it would be very easy to edit the recording and make it so the teacher is saying things that they never actually said. Should we be worried about this? Perhaps we need to be recording ourselves, if we are having these kind of discussions in class, so that we have a copy of what we actually said. I think that it is important to have classroom discussions and I also think that the students should have the ability to record the conversation for later study (afterall, I did this in college). I think that the classroom is going to be changing in a significant way in the next few years and I feel like we need to be proactive about these issues and not reactive.

1 comment:

Karl Fisch said...

I agree that this is an issue. I, too, want students to have the ability to record classes to help them learn the material (and it won't just be audio - very small, handheld video recorders with good sound capabilities are coming soon). I think where the problem lies is if they then decide to use that recording for something other than review. As I asked Amanda to pass along to LEA, I think the problem arises when that recording gets published. That's really what happened to the recording from Overland - it was published on talk radio and then on the web (and transcripts were then also published in old fashioned newspapers). To me, publishing is a completely different use of the material and brings up all sorts of issues (right of the teacher to their material, right of other students to privacy, copyright issues with any copyrighted audio or video that was shown in the class, etc.).

Maybe we should do what many colleges are starting to do - video and audio recording every class and then making it available to students on the web. Let's see, how much would that cost . . .