There was even a moment when I said to another teacher, "I am over this podcast stuff." I just felt like I was still doing a lot of work and that the students (some of them) did not care. Then, it happened.
What happened? You might ask.
I thought about the process of learning. Anything that is difficult is usually given up on. At least that is how I see it. There are times when we work really hard and never see the results (everyday in the classroom, I think) and there are other days when we do not work as hard and wonder why someone is paying us.
Then, a student said "thank you". My day got better when my daughter, a 4 year old, said "thank you" for the time I spent on the floor playing and not working. It had a big impact. Over the next few days, I came back around. I wonder where the semester went and how fast this one will go. I am trying to look at each day as being full of possibilities and not one full of burdens. That is helping. I am enjoying going to work but I also am spending time doing other things. This is good.
What about around the building that is part of Arapahoe High School...
I am doing a few things.
- The instructions for creating a podcast (vodcast) are almost done. However, I need some help. I need to know if there are any specific questions that people have that I can help with. Please leave a comment or send me an email.
- I am adding first year chemistry to the list of podcasts. More on this later.
- I am looking for ways to adapt the lecture format of science classes. (See this article from M.I.T.)
- I received an award of a SmartBoard and clickers, among other items, for the classroom and they are coming later in the semester. What changes will this bring???
- The chemistry labs that I teach are going paperless! I will talk about this next time.
- There is a faculty dance at an assembly coming up. (Don't ask.)
- Football is gearing back up.
- I am trying to use Moodle for classroom stuff. If you have used this or are using it please let me and others know how. I am trying to wrap my mind around this technology and it seems to have lots of possibilities. Any help would be appreciated.
I would think that is enough for now. Like I mentioned, the documents for creating and uploading a podcast are coming soon. (I would like to think by next month.) I will be posting here and on my class page when they are completed.
It is good to be back!