Tuesday, December 13, 2005

On line Astronomy

So, I tried something new. (This group is having an impact on me.)

In my astronomy class we did an activity, I think it was a scavenger hunt, that used a Word template as a guide. The activity was on the small bodies in the Solar System. The websites were on the worksheet and this guided the student's work. The students were on task the whole time and seemed to enjoy seeing what was out there. My current struggle is with the grading. I had the students turn the assignment into the class drop-box. I do not know if there is a way to give the student feedback. Any ideas?

Here is the assignment:
http://arapahoe.littletonpublicschools.net/media/EDocs/hatakbasteroid.dot

2 comments:

Karl Fisch said...

I'm not sure I understand your question about feedback. The answers to the assignment seem to be pretty straightforward "fact" type answers, so grading seems to be rather straightforward as well (and the number correct/letter grade is adequate feedback for this type of assignment). What other type of feedback were you wanting to give them?

Also, I have to say I like the name of your document - hatakbasteroid - that got my interest!

Davis said...

I did a similar assignments where students had to go to their college choices and find out the minimum writing requirements--I was tired of telling them the importance of format in writing and wanted them to see if first-hand. They compiled great information. I then jotted down 1 or 2 things from each student's list and shared it with them on an overhead. Just an idea...